Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Build-up

I've spent the last week, and I'll spend the next two, planning out more for the upcoming year.  I've been reading heavily into classroom procedures and management, as I struggled last year.  To be fair to myself, a lot of the new teachers (and some of the old) struggled with their students last year.  Kuwaiti kids are raised in a very different environment than we are used to in Canada.

That being said, they are still kids and I know that there are ways to manage their behaviour in my classroom. Amanda and I arrived in Kuwait the night before the first day of school last year, because of visa issues and a torn rotator cuff.  Amanda had her visa stamped and she was ready to go, but after a heated session of golf I tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder.  I'm sure some of you are shaking your head right now and wondering how that is even possible.  Trust me when I tell you that if you swing hard and wild enough it is a very real possibility.  At any rate, we arrived quite late in the evening and had to get up and teach the next day.  It was a whirlwind.  As such, we have both spent considerable time looking back to last year and searching for ways to improve our classroom management out of the gate.

I've recently read a few books and articles that touch on the subject, and already feel like I have a better grasp on my non-existent classroom.  Hammering home and practicing procedures is going to be a huge focus during the first two weeks.  Similarly, we will work a lot on expected behaviour in the class, lunch room, and during transition .  We had a lot of transition issues with our middle and high school kids last year, so I want this to be a focus.  Add to that the gamification of certain elements of the classroom, and I will have a very hectic first month.  This is the life of a teacher, though.

This week will be spent packing, visiting with family and friends, and doing what planning I can get done.  Next week, Amanda and I get into our classrooms to set up and I am oddly excited.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment